17 Mar 2012

Piauí, Goiás (Brazil)

Two Brazilian state flags has a very similar layout: Goiás and Piauí. Near the two, it's easy to know the difference between the two: Goiás has five stars, whereas Piauí has only one and more stripes. But, from far, they're easily confusing. Let me show you (the first is from Goiás):


















For me, Goiás flag is more beautiful, but I think the Piauí flag is more recognizable, so I'm going to change the Goiás one. My first idea to Goiás flag was using the Anhanguera's fire, but I couldn't give good use to it. My second try was very likeable:















Traditionally, the stars layout is said to symbolize the first colonial names of Brazil, Ilha de Vera Cruz ("True Cross Island", when Brazil was considered a island yet) and Terra de Santa Cruz ("Holy Cross Land"). The state is considered the heart of Brazil, and a flag like this is a good way of symbolize it.

Oh, I must not forget the Piauí! The first Piauí flag had a square canton and no written. This is a date, March 13rd 1823, day of a victory by Independentist Troops in state territory — I should admit that I never knew before about this battle, and it's unimportant, because Brazil made probably the most peaceful independence in Iberic South America, and the Piauí had, at that moment, about 12 years of existence. I'll be original and keep the retangular star, but without the written.


















I must thanks Jack Expo, that give me the idea to this post.
Are you liking my blogs? Follow and give me comments.

2 comments:

  1. Both great flags. I'm always a fan of removing text, so Piauí is good, but the cross design for Goiás is very nice. It could also stand for the Southern Cross constellation, since the state is below the equator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just realized a thing: the cross is because Brazil was discovered at Holy Week in 1500.

    Oh, it explains the reason of the first piece of land discovered in Brazil be named Monte Pascoal ("Easter Mount").

    ReplyDelete

Every comment is greatly welcome!